Thursday, March 26, 2009

Songs on Repeat: Sun Been Down for Days

At approximately 36 seconds into Wilco's inimitable "Hummingbird," there's this awesome little cello part that gets me every. single. time. It's only a few measures long, but it's absolutely gorgeous. Sometimes I just play the first minute or so over and again, because I am admittedly kind of pathetic.

Oren Lavie's "Her Morning Elegance" features a little cello riff early on, too. And maybe I'm just a sucker for what is arguably the best instrument ever (I haven't picked mine up in two years, but I'm not ready to say I used to play it just yet), because iTunes informs me that I have played this song 30 times since Sunday night, and that's not counting the play count on my iPod.

Usually my repeat songs of the week are sort of pleasant little things that I decide to start out my mornings with, but this one's different. It's minimal as anything -- those fantastic cello sections nearly drown out the muted organ and xylophone in the background -- but it's one of those songs that just works. I can't explain it.

Also, the music video is pretty much one of the most adorable things I've ever seen. It's probably one of the reasons I can't stop listening to the song.


2 comments:

  1. Con Danway here.

    1. For me, the video is THE only reason I like this song. If I heard it separately from the video I would probably think it was generic overmellow raspy-voiced indie blahblahblah. Wait actually scratch that first sentence and replace it with "I like this video in spite of the song."
    2. That's a vibraphone, not a xylophone. And to this song's credit it uses the instrument nicely.
    3. I gave up my masquerade of being a clarinet player around November of our freshman year. Time to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, "raspy" isn't the right word. "Breathy" is more like it, and it's one of the things I don't like about, say, the sort of music my sister likes (e.g. Sufjan Stevens aka the musical equivalent of beige).

    ReplyDelete